Itchy Hair Systems: Major Causes and Remedies [Updated for 2023]
- By Lordhair lordhair
- 2019-11-08 02:46:00
Note: This blog on itchy hair systems was last updated on November 30, 2022 to include new insights, data, and product recommendations. Happy Reading!
Most hair system users have experienced an itchy scalp at one point or another. People often blame it on the hairpiece but most of the time, the problem lies somewhere else.
In this blog, Lordhair will share the major causes behind an itchy hair system as well as remedies to overcome this irritation. Read on to discover why hair wigs for men sometimes itch and become problematic.
Shifting hair system
Usually, a slight or moderate movement of your hair system won’t cause any type of itching. However, things may change if you rub your scalp forcefully. This can cause your hairpiece to move around on your head throughout the day which makes your scalp itchy, sometimes leading to red patches!
Wearing a hair system using hard bond glue is also a major reason behind an itchy scalp. When your biological hair grows, it can merge with the hair of your toupee causing significant shifting, and therefore, itching.
Shifting hair systems – Remedies
Adding clips to your hair system unit will give it a secure hold. There are many DIY guides on the internet that will help you wear a hairpiece using clips. If you’re bonding with a hard bond adhesive, then it is better to switch to tape as it sticks to your scalp and not your hair. This will help prevent itchiness underneath your hair system.
This DIY guide will help you put on a natural hair wig using clips like a pro!
Ask any trichologist or a hair system expert and they will recommend you wear a hair system after completely shaving your head with a razor. Doing so will help your hairpiece settle smoothly on your scalp. However, if you’re prone to razor burn or ingrown hair, you might experience itchiness from this.
Razor burn does not necessarily mean that the skin is infected. It can happen when people shave their heads without using foam or gel. Folliculitis can also be one of the reasons behind hair system itchiness. Thankfully, there are multiple remedies to treat itchiness caused by shaving!
Itchiness caused by shaving – Remedies for 2023
Mild folliculitis might go away without any treatment. To speed up healing and ease itchiness caused by razors, you can do the following:
- Clean the infected area: Washing your scalp daily with antibacterial soap will help you overcome the red bumps and itchiness from your razor. Be sure to use a fresh cloth and towel each time.
- Try salt: Salt has been proven to be one of the best treatments for overcoming an itchy hair system from razors. Take 1 teaspoon of table salt and mix it in 2 cups of water. Pour the mixture on a washcloth and place it on your scalp. After 20 minutes, rinse your scalp with lukewarm water. Do this once a week.
- Gels, creams, and washes: Use over-the-counter antibiotics that can be rubbed on the skin. You can also try an oatmeal lotion or hydrocortisone cream. They all help to avoid infection caused by shaving, scratching, and wearing tight or rough hats on the head.
- Hilotherapy: Also called cold compression therapy, this encompasses placing cool, wet compresses on the affected area to reduce inflammation and itching caused by razors. Here’s how to do it:
Take a clean washcloth and place it under the stream of cold water. Wring off the excess water and place it on the scalp for 20-30 minutes. That’s it!
By using the above treatments, you can prevent hair system itching caused by razors in a few months.
Learn about common scalp infections and their treatments in this blog!
We all know that our scalp sweats whenever we wear a hair system. Have you ever wondered what all that sweat is doing to your scalp though? Some people naturally sweat more than others. But wearing a hairpiece all day can also cause you to sweat more than usual. A sweaty scalp often causes greasy hair and may give off an unpleasant odor and this may ultimately lead to itchiness and red bumps on the head.
Another major reason behind such itchiness is if you miss out on showering after exercising. For general hygiene reasons you wouldn’t want to do this but when the sweat on your scalp mixes with the hair of your toupee, it can irritate the skin and make it itchy. That’s why it is necessary to wash your scalp daily, especially if you are wearing a hair system!
Itchy hair system due to sweating – 2023 Treatment
Preventing itchiness caused by sweat is super easy! All you have to do is follow these remedies:
- Regular washing: Washing your scalp regularly with medicated shampoo will help you get rid of sweat on your scalp. It is widely accepted that an average-to-oily scalp should be washed every 1 to 2 days, while a dry scalp should be washed every 3 to 4 days. So, make sure to ask your trichologist what would work best for you.
- Avoid spicy food: Eating peppery dishes can also trigger scalp sweating. So, cutting back on meals made with lots of spices and garlic can help you avoid a sweaty scalp. Also, eat lots of green vegetables and fruits rich in vitamins and minerals to further improve scalp health.
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar also plays a major role in controlling the secretion of sweat. All you need to do is mix a few tablespoons of the vinegar with warm water, and then massage it into your scalp. Wash your scalp with lukewarm water after 30 minutes. Repeat this remedy twice a week for the best results.
- Drink a lot of water: Excessive sweating also means that your body is losing a lot of water content. So, make certain to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water throughout the day. By doing so, you can keep your scalp cool and sweat less. Literally the easiest way to stop your hair units from becoming itchy hair systems.
Using the above remedies will help you overcome the hair system itchiness triggered by sweat!
Discover the best-ever prices and wide range of modern hair systems for men
People who have dry scalps often face skin irritation problems when using hair systems. This problem generally occurs due to three main reasons: seborrhea, scalp psoriasis, and eczema. While seborrhea is a common skin condition that causes redness, itching, and flaking, scalp psoriasis happens when the immune system causes skin cells to grow too quickly on the head.
These two skin conditions often lead to dandruff that causes skin irritation while wearing a hair system. Eczema, on the other hand, is a dry skin condition which forms white flakes on your head. These scalp issues commonly appear from the use of shampoos rich in chemicals. Super oily scalps are another reason why men scratch their scalp badly after wearing a hair system.
Itchiness caused by dry and oily skin - 2023 Treatment
Home remedies are considered to be the best way to overcome scalp irritation caused by dry skin. Below are some natural treatments:
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil has been used for healthy skin since ancient times and using it for dry scalps is no exception. Apply a small amount of melted coconut oil directly to your scalp, massaging it onto the head. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before washing your hair. Its fatty acids will help you eliminate skin irritation caused by dry scalp in a few months.
- Aloe vera: Being one of the best moisturizing agents, aloe vera has a large number of properties that can help you deal with a dry skin condition. The best way to use the natural ingredient is by applying it in a gel form. Let it dry for 10 minutes after application before washing it off with hot water. Applying it twice a month will help you eliminate a dry scalp.
- Mashed bananas: Nourishing and moisturizing in nature, bananas make a great treatment for itchiness triggered by a dry scalp. Mash or blend a banana with a few tablespoons of olive oil. (Blending the banana will make it easier to rinse it out of your head.) Massage the mixture into your scalp and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Applying it three times a month will help you eliminate dry skin problems.
These remedies will all help you treat hair system irritation caused by dry scalp with ease.
For those who aren’t familiar with dandruff, it’s the white particles (dead skin cells actually) that end up on our scalps. All of us have experienced dandruff at some point in our lives. While it is not a scary hair condition, it can definitely give you an itchy scalp.
Those who have been struggling with dandruff for a long time may find wearing toupees slightly irritating. Thankfully, there are many ways to get rid of dandruff causing itchiness.
Learn why hair loss is hard to fix
Itchy scalp due to dandruff - 2023 Recovery Ideas
The below tips will help you get rid of dandruff and check an itchy scalp caused by it:
- Coconut oil massage: Massage your scalp with coconut oil to give it the right nourishment and stop the skin shedding. Doing so at least twice a week is a must to ward off itchiness as soon as possible!
- Stress: Stress is one of the major causes of dandruff and many other health problems too. Reduce your stress levels to get rid of itchiness.
- Diet: Your diet determines your overall well-being and directly impacts your hair as well as skin health. Maintain a healthy diet to give your body the necessary nutrients and get rid of dandruff (and eventually itchy scalp).
- Get a little sun: Sunlight can help you check the fungus that causes dandruff on the scalp. But since too much exposure to UV radiation emitted by the sun can also damage your skin, don’t sunbathe for long periods. Just spend a little time outdoors. Also, don’t forget to wear a sunscreen while doing that.
Hair system cleaning
While our scalp definitely needs to be clean and healthy to avoid itching, it’s equally important to keep your hair system in a perfect condition. Not washing your hair system and scalp regularly is one of the most common reasons for itchiness. If you don’t wash, clean, and comb your toupee regularly, then, it will develop the itch eventually.
Itchy scalp due to dandruff - Recovery steps
Follow the below wig care routine to wash your hair system and maintain its shine:
- Water: Use warm water to gently wash the hair system on a regular basis. Avoid using hot water to wash your hair system.
- Shampoo: Use shampoos that are free from harmful chemicals to wash your hair system. It will greatly help in extending the lifespan of your hairpiece.
- Conditioner: After using shampoo, it is important to wash the hair strands with a conditioner for cleaning it properly and nourishing the hair strands.
A lot of times, the problem isn’t with the hairpiece for thinning hair. It’s the glue or tape that’s not suiting your scalp. An allergic reaction is pretty common when you change to a new tape brand and it isn’t what your scalp is used to. It is also possible that the adhesive for attaching the hairpiece is not right.
When experiencing an allergic reaction after tape or glue change, consider changing the brand or explore other attachment options.
Above are some of the major reasons that irritate the scalp after wearing a hair system. There are other reasons too that can lead to an itchy hair system, namely:
- Bad quality hair systems
- Allergic reactions to adhesives and cleaning products
- Using wrong hairstyling and cleaning products
So, that’s everything you need to know about hair system itchiness in 2023. Whilst the health of your scalp is really important, always make sure you are wearing high-quality hair systems designed using high-quality materials.
Lordhair provides the world’s best hair systems and toupees customized to your unique needs. Our hair recovery products are shipped to more than 100 countries and come with a 30-day money-back guarantee!
Send your queries about hair systems to firstname.lastname@example.org or connect with us on Instagram.
Have a look at these recently launched product pages:
Shop best hairpieces for thinning hair
Discover receding hairline wigs at biggest discounts
Shop wigs for alopecia for fastest recovery
Discover the magic that are waterproof wigs.
Tel: +86 532 80828255