Stepping into the world of wigs and toupees for the first time can be a transformative experience. Whether you're looking to conceal hair loss or simply add a touch of flair to your daily look, hairpieces offer a world of possibilities. The decision to don a wig or toupee is a personal one, and it can be accompanied by a mix of excitement, apprehension, and curiosity. There is a lot to consider for those new to wigs and toupees. In this guide, leading wig and toupee supplier, Lordhair will explore the art of wearing wigs and toupees for the first time, addressing the nuances of selection, application, and maintenance to help you navigate this journey with confidence and style.
So, whether you're seeking a solution to hair-related challenges or preparing for a special occasion, Lordhair has some important factors to keep in mind when venturing into wearing a wig for the first time.
Human Hair vs Synthetic Hair
The initial step in your journey to your first time wearing a wig or toupee is selecting the right type of hair, a decision that will significantly influence your overall satisfaction with the choice. If you were to simply search hairpieces online you may find lots of synthetic options, you'll find a variety of options available, with synthetic hair and human hair wigs being the primary choices. Understanding the distinctions between these two options is essential to make an informed decision.
The initial step in your journey to your first time wearing a wig or toupee is selecting the right hair type. There is a common misconception that wigs or toupees are only made out of synthetic hair. Synthetic hair is certainly an option and if you were to search online for hairpieces then very low prices would likely indicate synthetic hair but in today's market, human hair is very much the preferred choice. Let's break down the two very quickly:
Human hair wigs/toupees: Human hair wigs offer a natural, versatile look that can be styled, colored, and treated like your own hair. They mimic the texture and feel of natural hair, providing comfort and confidence.
Synthetic hair wigs/toupees: Synthetic wigs are a popular and cost-effective choice. They are pre-styled, low-maintenance, and resistant to weather conditions, making them ideal for those seeking a consistent look with minimal effort.
We use real human hair at Lordhair although we use synthetic gray hair for many of our stock hair systems with gray hair (whether we use synthetic or human gray hair depends on the percentage of gray hair in the hair system).
Selecting the Right Size for your Wig/Toupee
"How do I know the wig will fit me?" There's a question we often get asked!
Rest assured that for the majority of men who wear a wig or toupee because of male pattern baldness, a standard hairpiece will fit them. Our stock hair systems come in various sizes for hair systems such as 6" x 8", 6" x 9", 7" x 9", and 8" x 10" with 8" x 10" (width x length) being our default size and a size that will cover the baldness of most men. In addition, Lordhair provides a base-cutting service where we can cut a hair system down to size.
The 8" x 10" base size of full French lace Champion hair system
Knowing the size of the area of your hair loss is crucial to determining the appropriate hair system you need for your wig or toupee. For example, if you are just receding across the front, then you may be able to get away with a partial hairpiece or more specifically, a frontal hairpiece that will perfectly restore your front hairline.
Then, there are other alternative hair systems available to cater to various requirements. These include hair patches for targeted coverage such as around the crown and full cap wigs/medical wigs specially designed for those facing all-over hair loss due to medical conditions. The choice ultimately boils down to what suits your individual preferences and needs to allow you to confidently express your own style.
We typically categorize base sizes into four types as shown below. With Lordhair, if you require a base size larger than 8"x 10", you would have to place a customized order.
- Partial size (aka a frontal): Size ≤ 7” x 10”
- Regular size (aka a topper): 7" x 10" < Size ≤ 8"x10"
- Oversize (aka larger size): 8" x 10" < Size ≤ 10" x 10"
- Full cap: Size > 10" x 10"
How to take wig/toupee measurements
To measure the size of the area of your hair loss, simply measure the length and width of your head.
- Length: Start at the center of your front hairline and measure straight across the middle of your head. This is also how you measure the hair system's base length.
- Width: Begin 1 inch from your temple, move up and across the top of your head to a point 1 inch back from the opposite temple. This is the base width of the hair system, and the measurement is taken the same way.
To measure the full cap you’ll need to give some further measurements such as:
- Measure the circumference of your head: Start at the center of your front hairline, place the tape flat against your head, and run it above your ear to the back, following the nape of your neck. Continue around to the opposite side, above the other ear, and back to the center of your front hairline.
- Measure front-to-nape length: Measure from your front hairline to the base of your skull (nape).
- Measure ear-to-ear width: Measure from one ear's top over the crown to the top of the other ear.
Check out a more comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to take the measurements for a full cap wig!
Selecting the Right Base Design
The base is what you could describe as the underside of the hair system so it's what the hair is attached to during production. Selecting the appropriate base design is a crucial aspect of choosing a hair system, wig, or toupee. The base design dictates the realism, durability, and comfort of a hairpiece. The base design should also suit your lifestyle.
When you start browsing men's wigs and toupees online, you will see there are lots of different-looking hair systems (that's the preferred industry word for wigs and toupees in case you weren't aware). It can be overwhelming to know the differences between all these hair systems but here are some key factors to consider when making this choice:
- Natural appearance: The base design greatly affects how natural the hair system looks. A lace front, for example, provides an undetectable hairline meaning you can brush back your hair and expose your front hairline, for example.
- Breathability: Scalp health is important. A breathable base can help prevent excessive sweating and discomfort. Lace or monofilament (mono) bases offer excellent breathability.
- Comfort: Consider how comfortable you want your hair system to be. Some bases, like lace or silk, can be softer against the scalp, while others may provide more structure.
- Durability: Certain base materials are more durable than others. For longer-lasting systems, consider materials like monofilament or thicker polyurethane (aka poly or skin).
- Lifestyle: Think about your daily activities and lifestyle. If you're active or engage in sports, you may prefer a more lightweight, breathable base. A more sedentary lifestyle might mean you can get away with a thicker base.
- Attachment method: Whilst you can use either tape or glue to attach any hair system certain base materials or better suited to certain attachment methods. Glue is not recommended with mono so make sure your chosen base aligns with your preferred attachment method.
Without going into too much detail, lace (French lace is likely what you will come across) and thin skin (skin bases can come in lots of different thicknesses with the thinnest ones being the most realistic) are the two most realistic base materials. Mono) is less realistic but more durable. When it comes to realism versus durability, the more natural a hair system, the less durable it will be so you will have to bear that in mind.
Selecting a Hair Type That Matches Your Own
Before buying a wig or toupee, you need to understand the characteristics of your own hair. The things you need to think about include:
- Color: Identifying their natural hair color is crucial. Whether it's black, brown, blonde, or red, selecting a wig or toupee that closely matches their hair color is essential to avoid an obvious contrast.
- Density: Understanding the density of their natural hair, whether it's thick or thin, is vital. It allows them to select a wig or toupee with a similar density for a consistent appearance. For older men, a thick density can be a giveaway.
- Curl and wave: Individuals should know their natural hair type, whether it's straight, wavy, curly, or kinky. This is essential because it helps them choose a wig or toupee with a similar texture, ensuring a more seamless and natural look.
- Hair type: Indian human hair is the industry standard and will match most men regardless of their ethnicity but other hair types exist - premium-quality hair with all its cuticles intact, for example.
- Hair length: Having a full head of hair will suddenly give you a load of styling options but how long do you want your hair to be? It's likely that online retailers will only offer one default hair length. At Lordhair, all our hairpieces come with a hair length of 5"-6".
- Gray hair: If you are already graying, how much gray hair do you have? For a better match, you should look to have the corresponding percentage of gray hair in your hairpiece.
At Lordhair, our stock hair systems come with standard specifications that may not match your own hair. For example, the vast majority of our stock hair systems come in either a medium-light or a medium hair density and some models may only be available in one of these density options.
Understanding stock specifications will help individuals determine if ready-made hair systems are suitable for their needs. If not then we would recommend custom-made hair systems that can be created to precise, personalized specifications. We would encourage people to send in hair samples for any customised order or indeed if they wanted clarity on the best stock hair color for them.
What two Lordhair customers have to share about their first hair system experiences:
Maintaining Your Wig/Toupee
Proper maintenance is paramount when caring for a human hair wig or toupee. Start by using sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners to maintain its natural moisture balance. Gentle cleansing with mild shampoo and lukewarm water is crucial to prevent tangling and damage. Conditioning from mid-length to the ends keeps it soft and manageable.
To protect your investment, use heat-protectant products and low heat settings during styling, and store it in a clean, dust-free environment when not in use. Detangle with a wide-tooth comb or a specialized wig brush. Storing it on a wig stand or mannequin head preserves its shape and minimizes the risk of tangling. These practices extend the hairpiece's life and maintain its natural beauty, ensuring it looks its best for every occasion.
Then, there is the hair system base and you will have to accept that removing the tape or glue from the base is a major part of your hair system maintenance routine. Don't worry - it will soon become straightforward and you will learn to master your own little techniques. The key is to be gentle whenever you are handling your hair system.
Wearing a Wig or Toupee for the First Time: Embrace Your New Look
In conclusion, wearing a wig for the first time can be an exciting and transformative experience. By considering factors such as hair type, cap construction, style, color, haircare, lifestyle, and budget, you can ensure that your hairpiece enhances your natural look and boosts your confidence. With the right knowledge and preparation, wearing a wig or toupee can be a game-changer, allowing you to experiment with new styles and find the perfect hair identity for yourself.
If you're contemplating ordering a wig or toupee from us, simply reach out, and we'll connect you with a dedicated customer service representative who will address any questions or concerns you may have. You can get in touch with us through our dedicated email address at email@example.com or over WhatsApp. It's a straightforward process designed to make your experience as seamless as possible.
Make hair systems your answer to hair loss!