Thyroid and Hair Loss: Reasons, Remedies, and More
- By Lordhair lordhair
- 2022-01-25 07:12:00
All of us experience some degree of hair loss. In fact, it happens to all of us each day. Usually, we all lose 50 to 100 strands a day but hair loss is different if you have an inflamed thyroid gland. Yes, thyroid conditions cause hair loss if left unchecked.
A lot of people don’t know about the connection between thyroid and hair loss. In this blog, Lordhair will tell you everything about thyroid hair fall and damage. From meaning to reasons and symptoms to remedies, we will cover all important aspects.
Let’s understand the meaning of thyroid first!
The thyroid is a gland in our neck that plays a crucial role in creating and generating critical hormones for different bodily systems. Located above the collarbone, this butterfly-shaped gland moderates many critical functions including how fast you burn calories and also your heartbeat rate.
When your thyroid produces too many or too few hormones, it is called thyroid disease.
Can Thyroid Actually Cause Hair Loss?
According to trichologists, when your production of thyroid-linked hormones is disrupted, especially T3 and T4 hormones, the core processes of your body are affected. One such process is the development of hair at the root of your scalp. Usually, your scalp’s blood vessels feed the root, create more cells and make your hair shine.
However, an irregular supply of thyroid-dependent hormones makes the hair fragile and more likely to fall out. Since new hair growth is also disrupted, hair loss across your scalp becomes more prominent.
Different Types of Thyroid Problems
There are many thyroid-related conditions that cause hair loss. The common ones are:
- Goiter: In this condition, the thyroid gland starts expanding. Lack of iodine in the diet usually results in goiter.
- Hyperthyroidism: In this condition, the thyroid gland produces more thyroid hormones including dihydrotestosterone (the reason behind hair loss) than your body needs.
- Hypothyroidism: The thyroid gland fails to produce enough thyroid hormones in this medical condition.
- Thyroid cancer: This condition impacts the cells of the thyroid and can be lethal if not checked on time.
- Thyroid nodules: It represents solid or fluid-filled lumps forming within your thyroid.
- Thyroiditis: A medical condition related to swelling of the thyroid.
Symptoms of Thyroid Hair Loss
People suffering from thyroid hair loss may notice that their hair strands are shedding in huge numbers. Apart from scalp, thyroid hair loss can also affect other parts of the body and you may notice discrete, circular patches on the skin.
Other symptoms of thyroid hair loss include:
- Highly dry skin
- Weight gain
- High pulse rate
- Hand tremors
- Lack of sleep
- Muscle weakness
- Brittle hair
- Swelling around the eyes
According to medical experts, women with underactive and overactive thyroid glands might experience abnormalities in their menstrual patterns. If you notice any of the above-mentioned symptoms, immediately consult a doctor!
Just like thyroid disorders, these diseases also cause hair loss in men and women.
Reasons for Thyroid Hair Loss
As we said earlier, thyroid hair loss takes place when the production of thyroid hormones, especially triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4), is disrupted. But since the thyroid supports plenty of bodily processes, it may trigger other conditions that aggravate hair loss as well. A lot of times, recovery medications also lead to temporary hair damage.
Let’s learn about some conditions that tag along with thyroid issues:
- Alopecia areata: An autoimmune disease that is often detected with thyroid conditions, alopecia areata baffles your immune system and forces it to attack hair follicles, interfering with the normal hair growth process. If not treated on time, it can lead to permanent baldness. Men and women suffering from alopecia areata will notice smooth, coin-shaped bald patches around their scalp.
- Thyroid medications: Yes, you read it right! Medications used to treat thyroid disorders can also contribute to hair loss. We are not saying that all antithyroid drugs are responsible for hair loss but carbimazole and propylthiouracil may shorten your hair life cycle. But worry not, chances of hair loss triggered by thyroid medications are rare.
- Lupus erythematosus: Another reason for thyroid hair loss. Lupus erythematosus is linked to autoimmune thyroid disease that causes hair loss. It occurs through scarring on your scalp. Since the hair follicles get replaced by scar tissues, hair loss caused by lupus erythematosus is permanent.
Shop wigs for women to recover from permanent damage
- PCOS: For those who don’t know, there is a connection between Hypothyroidism and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). Thyroid disorders cause PCOS-like ovaries and overall worsening of PCOS and insulin resistance. We suggest you see a doctor if you are facing both issues at the same time.
Home Remedies for Thyroid Hair Loss
Here’s some good news. Hair loss caused by thyroid conditions is typically temporary. Even lupus triggered by a thyroid disorder can be treated if the right measures are taken on time. Lordhair has prepared a list of natural home remedies that will help you grow back your hair and make them thick, smooth, and shiny.
Here are the best home remedies for thyroid hair loss:
#1 Fish oil
For those who don’t know, biotin is a vitamin that is very important for hair growth. Biotin deficiency caused by thyroid diseases can lead to brittle hair or hair loss. Fish oil helps in improving hair growth from the inside by improving its natural strength.
Rich in nutrients and proteins including biotin, it can help in promoting hair growth and make the hair stronger and shiner. Ask your doctor to add fish oil capsules to your prescription.
Most of us eat eggs for breakfast but do you know they can be directly applied to hair to boost growth stunted by thyroid disorders? Yes, there is a lot of evidence that doing this will help strengthen the hair.
The yolk contained in white shell eggs comprise nutrients and proteins such as biotin, folate, vitamin A and vitamin D. Applying the egg yolk on your scalp will nourish the roots of your hair, making your strands stronger.
#3 Dark green vegetables
Remember how our parents forced us to eat leafy green vegetables when we were young? Well, it's high time you start eating them again. Leafy greens such as spinach have high levels of iron, vitamin A and C. These vitamins can help enhance hair health and recovery.
Adding bok choy, broccoli, all types of lettuces (such as romaine, arugula, mesclun, baby spinach, etc.), and collard greens to your weekly diet will greatly help overcome thyroid hair loss.
Is your partner experiencing hair loss & receding hair too? Discover hairpieces for men
#4 Pumpkin seed oil
Another amazing natural home remedy to get rid of hair loss caused by thyroid disorders. The pumpkin seed oil contains healthy acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and amino fats which help to maintain normal cell structure and retain moisture in the scalp as well as the hair.
According to hair experts, the pumpkin seed oil restrains DHT production, testosterone, and androgen levels - all of which are influenced by thyroid diseases. This helps in controlling hair loss.
Taking 1 teaspoon of pumpkin seed oil two times per day can help keep in check the problem of thyroid hair loss.
Above are the best home remedies for treating thyroid hair loss. These natural treatments can help you regrow thick, bouncy, and shiny hair strands. Keep in mind that it may take several months to notice scalp hair regrowth. In case your hair loss is severe, we highly recommend consulting your doctor or opting for men’s wigs or women’s wigs.
If your hair loss is extreme and you see no sign of recovery, we recommend using hair wigs for recovery. Lordhair designs and supplies the world’s best range of stock hair replacement systems for women and men. Known best for their breathability, durability, and hyper-realism, our non-surgical hair recovery products are shipped to more than 100 countries and come with a 30-day money-back warranty.
Browse our collection of non-surgical hair replacement systems for both men and women.
Got any queries to ask? Send them to email@example.com and have them answered by our hair experts.
We keep creating hair recovery guides and styling resources for our community. Check out the latest resources:
FUE vs. FUT hair transplant: What makes more sense in 2022?
Wholesale wigs FAQs to place bulk orders perfectly
Discover hairpiece toupees for quick recovery
Relationship between hard water and hair loss
Tel: +86 532 80828255