Wig Tapes FAQs
● What are wig tapes?
Hair wig tapes are medical double-sided tapes that can be used on your skin and come in different shapes, sizes and strengths. Whether it is strips or dots, you can get what suits your needs – wig tapes also come in rolls.
You’ll need to attach silicone patches or strips at the side of the head to keep your wig in place. You can also add wig tapes to wigs that have silicone strips or patches positioned in front of your ears.
● How do you use wig tapes?
● To make the wig tapes stick, remove any oils on your skin by washing it before applying them.
● Cut the wig tape strips to a length that is enough for all of the places you want to attach your wig.
● Peel one side of the silicone adhesive off the wig tapes and attach it to your desired area.
● When you’re putting on your wig, remember to peel the wig tapes from one side and then carefully slide it over your head. Touching the adhesive is not recommended.
● Make sure to position the wig on your head and then apply pressure to the wig tapes so that it sticks better. You are ready to go about your day if done correctly.
● How do you remove wig tapes?
It's a great idea to use a wig for an instant makeover, but it's important to get advice if you plan on wearing one all day and night long term. Wearing a wig for a day is different to wearing one for a longer time.
To remove wig tapes, you can use solvent or alcohol-based adhesive remover. To release the adhesion from the wig tapes, dip your cotton ball in the solvent and carefully dab along the hairline where the wig tapes are placed. You can then carefully remove your wig from the remaining wig tapes pieces that may be left. If the wig tapes have not been removed then keep using the adhesive remover to remove all the pieces.
Once you remove the wig, be sure to rid your skin of all the wig tapes adhesive with an adhesive remover. Next, take away the residue from inside the wig by using a soft microfiber towel and showering afterwards so that you remove any residuals from either your hair or skin.
● How long can you leave wig tapes on?
You can use wig tapes for different hair-related products including toupees, wigs and hair systems. Wig tapes can provide a long hold of 2 to 4 weeks. Wig tapes could potentially last up to 6 weeks depending on the humidity, temperature and your body oils. The hold length for wig tapes is different for everyone because of the variation in skin types.
● What are the advantages of wig tapes?
● Hair wig tapes are available in various designs and lengths including pre-cut strips, spot tabs and a roll. You have the option to use each style until you find wig tapes that suit your personal preference.
● Some wigs come with polyurethane tabs, which have been designed for wig tapes that provide a stronger grip.
● Wig tapes secure your wig to your head very well, especially if you live an active lifestyle and need wig tapes that will provide you with the reassurance that your wig will not fall off.
● A wig tapes roll can last for a long time and so this makes wig tapes the better budget-friendly choice.
● Are wig tapes safe?
All wig tapes that are internationally sold must have a data safety sheet. The toxicity and quality of wig tapes have been tested to ensure that they are safe to use on the skin.
Before deciding on which wig tapes to use, you need to make sure the safety data sheet lists any information about the chemicals, toxicity info and material specifications that people might have questions on. You can read this information in order to see if the wig tapes contain any lead, cyanide or mercury - things which should not be used when using a thin skin scalp system or lace toupee! Note the NONE of the wig tapes on lordhair.com, the brand Walker, contain any of these dangerous chemicals.
● How do you perform a wig tapes allergy test?
There are various types of wig tapes available and these include long rolls of wig tapes, short pre-cut pieces and front hairlines in an A-shape. You’ll want to buy double-sided wig tapes to ensure that your wig attaches securely onto both the base and your hair.
To perform a wig tapes allergy test, you’ll have to start by choosing a hidden area of your skin like your wrists or the back of your shoulders and sticking a small strip of adhesive tape for hair systems onto it. Keep the strip of adhesive tape for hair systems on the skin for 24 hours and if you don’t experience any irritation, it’s safe to use the wig tapes. However, if you do experience irritation, just take off the tape for hair systems and use a different brand to test it out. There is a very small chance of you getting any irritation from the wig tapes but if you do for the majority of the brands then you can use clip-on hair systems which are a risk-free method to attach the wig to your head.
● Do wig tapes damage your natural hair?
When wearing wig tapes, your natural hair will grow through underneath, just as if you were wearing a plaster or band aid. When removing the wig tape, if you use a de-bonder to loosen the adhesive, there will be little to do damage to your existing hair. If you rip your taped-on hair system off within the first few days of applying, you risk not only damaging your system, but also, it is true you may pull out some hairs with the tape. In terms of damage with will do to your actual hair or scalp, this can be likened to plucking or waxing hairs, which is in fact a much more aggressive act as it is meant to pull out hairs. When waxing or plucking, your hairs grow back again and it only pulls out the particular hair that you have plucked. With wearing tape, if by any chance you do pull out a few strands with the tape, they will grow back. Additionally, when using wig men already have little hair on their head, hence hairs are not necessarily something to be worried about.
● Which wig tapes are best?
When you’re searching for quality wig tapes for your hair system, it’s always best to spend more money on wig tapes of a higher quality. Good quality wig tapes will be more secure and leave less residue which provides you with a much better chance for your wig to stay on more comfortably and securely.
If you’re stuck on what wig tapes to purchase then look no further and ask us at Lordhair by either email or through our online chat option on our website. We will give you our recommendations on what wig tape would be ideal for you. Also if you look for our wig tapes page, you’ll see that we have created a chart for all wig tapes at the bottom of the page. You’ll be able to view the various properties of wig tapes that we sell and you’ll be able to choose the adhesive tape for hair systems that are perfect for you.